9.04.2013

The New(ish) Girl

When I decided to expand the Heist line into leather handbags, I was completely unsure of how deep into it I would get. After doing a ton of research, I decided to start on the cheap(er) side and invest in a portable walking foot sewing machine.
These portable walking foot machines are mainly used on ships to mend sails and vinyl and make other repairs on the go. Long story short, the machine was just ok. The lift under the foot was just not enough to fit any thicker materials, it often left track marks and the machine was just...finicky. It refused to top stitch properly and I wasted a lot of good leather because of it.

I started getting really frustrated with my limited options and about 2 weeks ago I started trolling Craigslist looking for a proper industrial machine. After perusing many, many leather-worker and sewing machine forums, I made a list of the top 5 machines I should be on the lookout for, and sure enough one popped up last week. 

It was listed in Tampa, which is about 4 hours away from me, and I just decided on the spot to make an offer. The seller accepted immediately and the very next day I was driving across the state to pick it up.
I met the sellers in their upholstery studio, tried out the machine and loved it. They were so helpful and explained all the ins and outs (about half of which I understood and absorbed), and then they helped me pack it up and I hit the road. 

Welcome to the party, Consew! I can't wait to get to know you.

No comments: